Cvor Application - Fill Online, Printable, Fillable, Blank

CVOR Safety Dawg Feb 19, 2023

Get the free CVOR application form.

Okay, that was clickbait. The CVOR Certificate application form is always free. When you submit the form, it costs. Yup, it will set you back $255. Once your Commercial Vehicle Operator's Registration application is approved, you will have to go and write the CVOR test. The CVOR Certificate test required fee is $32 additional to the original cost. You have to pay $32 every time you write the knowledge test. Many people find writing a CVOR practice test helpful.


Determine your type of Application.

There are three types of application forms, depending on your business type. The type of business refers to whether you are incorporated, a partnership, or a sole proprietor. And business type is not things like truckload, tow truck, or ten or more passengers. There is a different application form for each type of business.

CVOR Written Test

This CVOR Certificate knowledge test is 30 multiple-choice questions. A pass is 80% correct answers. You can read nearly 300 pages of the MTO CVOR Safety Manual. It is officially called Commercial Vehicle Operators' Safety Manual. 

The MTO says that the CVOR Certificate Test is based on chapters 4-5-7-8-9. If you read and study these modules carefully, you should do well on your way to passing the test and getting your CVOR certificate.

The Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) has a great free 35-question practice test for you. I have been told that the MTO has a bank of nearly 400 questions they can select for your 30-question quiz. As a commercial vehicle operator, you don't want to waste time. I wrote the CVOR test 6 times for you, and I have put more than 114 questions and answers here for those who need more than the free MTO test.

Complete the Knowledge Test

When you have completed the CVOR Certificate application, now applied for the commercial vehicle operator's registration, and your Application is approved, you will receive a letter from the MTO to go and write the test. Take the note and government-issued ID to the DriveTest Centre. YOu now pay the $32 fee to write the examination. If you fail to pass the commercial motor vehicles test, you again pay the $32 fee and re-write the test. You can keep paying the fee and writing the test as often as needed until successful.

Once you get the CVOR Test letter, you have six months to pass the test successfully. There is no limit to how much time you can write the examination. YOu can attempt the test as many times as you need. Many people find it helpful to use a practice test and read the Safety Manual.

Before you apply

Start to gather all of the documents that you are going to need to complete the application form. You will need vehicle ownership and proof of insurance for all the applications.

For all applications, you are going to need ID for the individuals. The ID accepted by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) is usually the Ontario driver's licence. If you are not from Ontario, you will need a copy of your driver's licence.

Suppose you don't have a driver's licence in that case, you can usually use a Passport, Ontario Photo Card, Canadian Permanent Residence card (with signature), Canadian citizenship card with photo (issued before February 1, 2012), or a Canadian birth certificate or Proof of Birth document issued by a U.S. jurisdiction.

You will also need to complete the Consent and Authorization form

You must estimate your fleet size and kilometres travelled in the first year.

Individual Applications

What is an Individual?

An individual is:

  • a sole proprietorship or an unincorporated business

  • owned by only one person

Corporate Applications

What is a Corporation?

corporation is:

  • identified as an incorporated business in legal documents such as Articles/Certificates of Incorporation

  • a separate legal entity than the individual(s) who own the corporation

  • one with a business name that may end with Inc. (Incorporated), Ltd. (Limited), Corp. (Corporation), LP (Limited Partnership), LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) or ULC (Unlimited Liability Corporation)

Partnership Applications

What is a Partnership?

general/joint partnership is:

  • An association or relationship between two or more individuals, corporations, trusts or partnerships that work together to run a business or work a trade

For partnerships, you can only apply by fax or mail.

Receive your CVOR certificate.

Once you have completed all of the above, the CVOR Certificate application completed, submitted, a fee paid, and passed the test, you will receive your Valid CVOR Certificate by your choice of email (this is the quickest way) or Canada Post. Remember that each commercial vehicle must carry a copy of the CVOR certificate.

What is the Commercial Vehicle Operator's Registration (CVOR) System?

The Highway Traffic Act backs the CVOR system. The CVOR promotes safety for the CVOR holder, the motor vehicle operator and the driver. If you get a violation for an HTA infraction, it will likely raise your CVOR score—the lower the score, the better. The CVOR system has five different CVOR safety ratings. They are Excellent, Satisfactory, Satisfactory Un-Audited, Conditional and Unsatisfactory.

Who requires a Valid Cvor Certificate in Ontario?

If you are operating a commercial motor vehicle over 4500 kg, you will likely be required to have a CVOR to operate commercial motor vehicles legally. That is the actual or the registered gross weight over 4,500 kilograms; you need a CVOR. For most commercial motor vehicles with a registered gross weight over 4,500 kg, you will nee a CVOR. All tow trucks need a CVOR, and buses that carry ten or more passengers will need a CVOR. Some pickup trucks need a CVOR. If you are using a commercial motor vehicle operated in Ontario, you will likely need a CVOR.

Vehicles that require a CVOR

The CVOR certification is required on Commercial vehicles: Vehicles with plate plates in a Canadian territory (not in Ontario) do NOT require a CVOR. It must be certified by a provincial or state that is registered with the manufacturer. Notable: The operator or agent of a bus, motor coach, or school bus may also need an operating authority to operate the vehicle. Get a copy from the Ontario Highways and Transportation agency.

Commercial Motor Vehicles?

Suppose you are carrying commercial goods. Commercial goods are products that are "sold or traded." And for the Highway Traffic Act, you must include items for making money—for example, lawnmowers or fence boards. If your weight is over 4,500 kg, and you are transporting a lawnmower (for a commercial purpose), you will need a CVOR.

Online, Mail or Fax Your Application

When you complete your CVOR application online, you can submit it online, which is undoubtedly the fastest way to receive your Test Letter for the CVOR Certificate. Submitting the Application online is the quickest way to the highway for your commercial motor vehicle.

If you decide to mail your Commercial Motor Vehicle CVOR application, send it to:

Ministry of Transportation

CVOR Processing Unit

Licensing, Permits and Support Office

301 St. Paul Street, 3rd Floor

St. Catharines, Ontario

L2R 7R4

You can Fax your Commercial Motor Vehicle operator's registration CVOR Application to:

Fax: 1-905-704-3033